How to Paint Straight Lines with a Brush – Painting Tutorial

How to Paint Straight Lines with a Brush – Painting Tutorial

• DeeDah

Oh Florent. If you want to make straight lines, you should use a "liner" brush. It makes, wait for it–straight lines. Then all you need is a steady hand, or a mahl stick, or a ruler.

October 10, 2019 at 9:34 pm
  • Gene Zhao

5:00 after using ruler tape method, also don’t overload brush, use crusty paint, or too wet paint

October 10, 2019 at 9:52 pm
  • Paola Bueso

Excellent video! Thank you so much for sharing this.

October 10, 2019 at 10:25 pm
  • Ajay Walia

Can you please make your next video on palette knifes in full details and please will tell us which palette knife brand do you use in that video ..

Love ❤ from India 🇮🇳

October 10, 2019 at 11:23 pm
  • RW-

Use a bloody palette knife.

October 11, 2019 at 12:13 am
  • pritchetty

How to paint individual hairs (very thin lines)??

October 11, 2019 at 12:56 am
  • Paul NoZaMa

Pinstriping…

October 11, 2019 at 1:44 am
  • arT Deschamps

Tout est dans le poignet bloqué et de tirer le trait d'une traite en se focalisant sur le point d'arriver, comme ça pas besoin de règle ni de Scotch mais ça c'est la base, l'épure la plus difficile à réaliser sans en avoir l'air surtout quand je travail sur des formats de 2m 😉

October 11, 2019 at 1:57 am
  • Vrai Monde

you are such a kind soul _

October 11, 2019 at 2:54 am
  • Chris Newton

A few months ago I needed to paint rope attached to grappling hooks that were shot up the 100 foot cliff face at Pointe du Hoc on D Day. That meant that I had about twenty very long, very curved lines to draw. The lines needed to be about half a millimetre. I started off with the rigger brush, but soon realised I was backing a loser
    So I went off to Tesco in Ban Chang and found a couple of "micron" pens made in Japan. They draw a black line 0.25 mm and the second pen draws a 0.45 mm line. Each pen cost about $2 that's about 50 Thai Baht, they're very cheap
    I got the curve of the long lines by taking a piece of card and using "French Curves" to produce the curve on the piece of cardboard. I then simply cut the cardboard with scissors and that gave me a template that I then placed onto the canvas. It was then a simple matter to place the "micron" pen next to the template and that produced the perfect long curve I was looking for

Since then I've used them on another big painting of Mississippi Paddle steamers. Again about twenty lines required, some dead straight, and others with long curves. Looking at the finished job, it's very difficult to see that I've used a "micron" pen and to make it more realistic, I've painted over the "permanent" ink, which does not run, so that they are greyed out into the distance

A blind man on a galloping horse would never spot the difference and it's so easy to do

Oh, and I did use the old "masking tape" for the rotor blades on a Huey Helicopter I've just done. Worked a treat !

Hope this helps you all

Kind regards and great video as always – Chris Newton – http://WWW.100Temptations.com

October 11, 2019 at 3:00 am
  • Coralie B.

Bonjour Florent, merci beaucoup pour vos vidéo claires, instructives et de nous partager votre talent 👍👍👍

October 11, 2019 at 3:25 am
  • TheObSeRvErTheObSeRv

what about Liner brushes and dagger brushes they use them a lot in the sign writing industries !!! maybe you can do a video of them!!..;-)

October 11, 2019 at 4:08 am
  • Marco Antônio

You are so handsome

October 11, 2019 at 4:13 am
  • johnchatz

you can also use a large palette knife for straight lines.the way you use a ruller

October 11, 2019 at 4:51 am
  • Tariq Saddique

Excellent.

October 11, 2019 at 5:08 am
  • J Robbins

I appreciate the specific, detailed, practical tutorials you share. I don’t find this anywhere else. Plus, you make it interesting. Thanks!

October 11, 2019 at 5:13 am
  • Etienne Sugihara

Now this is help ! and yes it is for Me ! And for all that want to thumb down you just need to think about your action well before you do so , this is not for you in the first place right ?and for all who don’t have anything nice to say on here please don’t say anything at all Alright ! ? On here This place only for HAPPY Paiter / future Artis lol ! By the way thank you Florent Farges I treasure every minutes you gave us over the years I really appreciate all that you’ve done for Me !Happy Painting ! ! !

October 11, 2019 at 6:10 am
  • Pete32266 annells

Great video as ever, Can you comment on rigger brushes, I believe they were originally made for painting ship's rigging. I have have had some success with them but tend to use masking tape. The consistency of the paint seems critical. The edge of a straight edegd knife works too.

October 11, 2019 at 6:54 am
  • jeffhreid

Great video. I never thought of using a laser level, what a clever idea!

October 11, 2019 at 7:29 am