"Belly Laugh" Oil Painting Tutorial from concept, to sketch, to finished painting

• Bonita Trost

I read that the entire mounted Chicago Police Department took the shoes of their horses
    to initially save money, but they learned that the horses were more comfortable and confident on the pavement and sidewalks and had much better traction than with shoes on.

November 30, 2019 at 9:17 pm
  • bip bip

MAGNIFIQUE!!!!! SUPERBE!!!!

November 30, 2019 at 9:38 pm
  • Sue Reed

I am a new subscriber to your channel. Your work is amazing. I loved how detailed you were with your explanations of your process. I am just a crafter. I mainly work in watercolor. I have never touched oil paint. I do not know a lot about western art but I know I love yours. Owning one of your paintings is now on my bucket list. I look forward to future lessons from you. Thanks for all your hard work. Blessings from Sue in Delaware

November 30, 2019 at 10:33 pm
  • Diane Lewandowski

This video was extremely helpful and enjoyable! Thank you! Do you sell prints of your completed work or just the originals?

November 30, 2019 at 10:36 pm
  • Preston Pearson

What brand and size brushes do you use?

November 30, 2019 at 11:21 pm
  • Charlie McTruth

Your work reminds me of the great Russian painter Ilya Repin, particalarly his painting of..
    "Zaporozhian Cossacks Writing a Letter to the Turkish Sultan".
    This one is my favourite of your paintings.

November 30, 2019 at 11:47 pm
  • Duana Bennett

How do you approach people about modeling for your paintings? Do you pay them? Is there a modeling release form you use?

December 1, 2019 at 12:29 am
  • Dan V

Your commentary is excellent. Love the background information and stories almost as much as the painting tips. What brushes are you using?

December 1, 2019 at 12:38 am
  • Not The Man I used To Be

Subscribed!…just found your channel! So glad I did! Love 'Belly laugh' great tutorial & your pencil sketch art! u mentioned advertising…storyboarding…I know it was a while ago for u but any chance of some/a tutorial please? Thanks for all your postings which i will be checking out 😛

December 1, 2019 at 1:30 am
  • Micco The Service Dog

Your painting's are beautiful btw. Really enjoy your videos!

December 1, 2019 at 1:37 am
  • Micco The Service Dog

Back in the 90's when I went to the Artist's Ride in South Dakota, there was only a $150 charge for the ordeal. We all camped out on the Chyenne River. You mentioned the price has gone up to $2500, that's a huge change!! I thought I might return again sometme but wow, at that price, I don't think I can. That's ashame but I guess they are paying the models and everyone and everything to be brought in now. I did have a great time going. Back in the 90's, we were still shooting photos with 35mm film. I can see with the new digital cameras how you ended up wth 8000 pictures! I'd have done the same! I met some great people and artists up there. I also got my Sioux name there from the local reservation. I'll never forget that trip. Great fun and wonderful people.

December 1, 2019 at 1:46 am
  • Cosmo José

Hi! You gained another sub!

Your channel is different: You do not put "timelapse" in your videos, and I like it (I can see all the process)! Thank you!

December 1, 2019 at 2:13 am
  • Debbie Cohn

Also do you use a wet on wet or dry technique?

December 1, 2019 at 2:37 am
  • Debbie Cohn

Hi, did you use the medium for painting the canvas before painting or did you mix it directly with the paints?

December 1, 2019 at 3:25 am
  • Carol Reid

I stumbled across your channel. I paint very different subject matter than you, however it was wonderful and a delight to find an artist that cares about their subject matter enough to be accurate on details such as the tack, saddles, etc., especially when it's a historical representation painting.
    Your horses are beautiful, and yes, you have the anatomy down very well. We have horses where I live, my daughter was in equestrian schooling for years, and I rode as a kid myself.
    If thr horse anatomy doesn't make sense to you, I'd strongly suggest you literally get on some horses, and do some trail riding, and go watch some wild horses in the desert as well. Looking at them, it may seem like their anatomy doesn't make a whole lotta sense, but when you see and feel how they move, and especially move with them, it makes incredibly great sense! Then you'll be wondering how they occured in nature that way! Pretty amazing creatures!
    There are many little things, even down to the structure of each hair on their bodies, that have function.
    Your painting is wonderful! I subbed to see more.
    You'd be surprised at how many people would watch, especially certain parts of a video, while learning how to paint say a gloved hand, for instance, to get that 3-D effect.
    Lightening values of an item in a painting to bring them forward, or darkening to set them back can have a huge effect. I painted a field of flowers (tulips, primarily), and kept changing values… I took pictures as I went along… It looked as though the wind had been blowing them around, from picture to picture of my painting. I was painting in acrylics, so it was quick to dry, even with retarder. (I used to paint in oils years ago, yet the paint really bothered me (but with low to no VOCs, I'm going to give it a try again soon, paint outdoors, and see how it goes. Turpentine, back 40 years ago, was harsh stuff. I bought some of that thinner that isn't supposed to be as bad. I used to paint very impasto, as we didn't have thr mediums then that we have now, so I am going to give it a whirl again!).
    Anyhow, it was a joy to watch you paint. I love the guys laughing too! Great subject!
    I love that you show the warm pink on the nose, in the soil, the rocks, the sky.
    Beautiful painting! Love it!
    Have a great day!

December 1, 2019 at 3:59 am
  • Jim DiFiglia

Sir, you are an incredible artist and an excellent teacher. Your description on detail is easy to understand.

December 1, 2019 at 4:35 am
  • larry coogan

is there somewhere where you talk about the brushes you use.

December 1, 2019 at 4:59 am
  • Toni Toni

Можно узнать чем вы разбавляете краски, каким разбавителем?заранье спасибо.

December 1, 2019 at 5:23 am
  • barnbre2

How do you transfer your drawing to the canvas exactly, please?

December 1, 2019 at 5:44 am
  • arcuda2001

I love watching as you paint, but even more, I love listening to your insights and dealing with different obstacles that arise as you go.. your advice is fabulous, and it is helping me beyond measure … love your talent , and love your attitude about it all .. thank you so much !!! Happy , very belated new year lol ( I just saw this video for the first time, today) :-))

December 1, 2019 at 5:48 am