The Basics of Oil Painting

The Basics of Oil Painting

• Andriana Portailler

Thank you so much for your videos ! <3 they saved my day !

August 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
  • Jane The Ripper

So I've painted for a while but I stopped for a bit so I've kinda forgotten what to use. I've watched this and I'm still confused lmao. I remember in art classes, the teacher put some kind of oil in a little glass bowl and mixed it with something else. I don't remember what kind of oil or what the other thing was so what I've been using is just olive oil. I really don't know if that something to use and I kinda feel dumb typing this out but I would appreciate a little help if possible. I'm trying to paint something for ny bf for his birthday and it was turning out okay so far but it tacky and shiny which is not what I'm going for so if anyone could plz help I'd greatly appreciate it! <333

August 21, 2018 at 10:54 am
  • shawna meredith

I use Winsor & Newton Oils there are very good for starting out.

August 21, 2018 at 11:13 am
  • sella Palestine

تسويق مش اكثر

August 21, 2018 at 12:13 pm
  • Sajjad Ali

Thanks Lena

August 21, 2018 at 12:47 pm
  • Samruddhi Kelkar

Can we use oil as a solvent?

August 21, 2018 at 1:22 pm
  • songbird7912

After dipping the linseed oil rag in water, is it then safe to dispose it in the garbage?

August 21, 2018 at 1:56 pm
  • Melissa St. Pierre Grand Blanc Michigan

Wow… really amazing video. Great painting. The color of the oil painting is awesome. Thanks for sharing this video. For more info visit here https://angel.co/melissastpierregrandblancmichigan

August 21, 2018 at 2:55 pm
  • Rellik Sailo

Who is this girl?!!

August 21, 2018 at 3:03 pm
  • Helios

Nice video but on basic palette i will never include sap green … You miss also a blue with a green shade and i try to never use black in my painting because it give a totally unnatural look . Especially beginner don't know how to use black If you already add burn umber it's also pointless .

Another thing that it's untrue is that oils are not toxic …. Actually every kind of color based on Cadmium it's Highly toxic in Europe the government lately talk about to remove these kind of colors from the market for the high level of toxicity it's true for other kind of pigments too . Oils also need turpentine/solvent and i usually use liquin that are both totally toxic … You can seriously damage your lungs with these chemical if you don't use odorless solvent and you don't pay enough attention .

Maybe you can say that they are not so bad as people think because with some attention you get only a funky odor time to time and nothing more … they are totally safe to use like other medium . They are also irreplaceable for some kind of technique than it's ok to deal with them .

Usually for a beginner they are also easier to use than Acrylics because you have a big drying time to move the paint around . They are only "inconvenient" to use because you need solvents and other medium to use them well but oils are awesome and right now there are not a real substitute for them .

August 21, 2018 at 3:25 pm
  • Fiona C

I tried oil painting for the first time yesterday and it was so frustrating. I didn't realize you couldn't use water to clean the brushes and I kept smearing the leftover colors into my painting. The picture looks good so far but idk if I'll finish

August 21, 2018 at 3:51 pm
  • sunil kolekar

गूड

August 21, 2018 at 3:56 pm
  • Lena-Marie

Thank you for this video This was super helpful!! Makes oil seem less scary

August 21, 2018 at 4:03 pm
  • anix jacobe

How to get oil paint out of skin?

August 21, 2018 at 4:55 pm
  • anix jacobe

I bought oil paint 6TUBES 12ML-$129 now I'm broke

August 21, 2018 at 5:02 pm
  • Trang Do

Bạn thật xinh đẹp.

August 21, 2018 at 5:30 pm
  • Andrea Siebert

Thank you Lena! I have not worked with oils for some years, your intro was a great brief and "essentials oriented" refresher for me! Keep being obsessed it helps us all.

August 21, 2018 at 5:47 pm
  • 99turquoisegiraffes

I like this a lot, you seem very genuine, I admire that. Will be following

August 21, 2018 at 5:53 pm
  • El Fern

I have always used acrylic because of its simplicity. I respect oil painting and after this video, I come to the conclusion it's not for me. Too much science & chemistry going on here. Very informative!

August 21, 2018 at 6:20 pm
  • Shahad

Wow I’m gonna be so incredibly poor in art school 😀

August 21, 2018 at 6:49 pm