Preparing hardboard for painting. Tutorial

Preparing hardboard for painting. Tutorial

• Pooja Perera

not at all comprehensive. Sorry abt the comment…

September 29, 2018 at 10:16 am
  • Maggie Jones

Hi Dave, someone has given me about five small pieces of hardboard, l was so lucky to find your tutorial on preparing hardboard, brilliantly informative as usual and it was lovely to see all around your art studio. I hope your knees were OK after cutting your board on the floor!
    Thank you for a great lesson Dave. Kind regards Maggie

September 29, 2018 at 10:44 am
  • Alcol Pheiffer

Where did you purchase frame from. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, you learn something every day!

September 29, 2018 at 11:14 am
  • Tom Draug

What a great studio!

September 29, 2018 at 11:33 am
  • Claire Lyn Minter

I am making a table out of an interior door which has had board on the top.
    I've painted my mahogany varnish on it with a roller but it has left dark patches.
    What's the best way to get rid of them please

September 29, 2018 at 11:56 am
  • Randy Leifer

Starts a GoFundMe for you….. so you can afford a larger brush.

September 29, 2018 at 12:17 pm
  • Kirsty Jones

This is such a helpful video! It's answered all my questions about making your own board to paint on and is going to save me so much money on pre-made Gessoed boards! Thankyou!

September 29, 2018 at 12:57 pm
  • fishgut lane

You are so humble.

September 29, 2018 at 1:41 pm
  • alberto cabo rubias

Hello
    I have a question
    I want to paste sheet of paper canson mi-teintes. Should I apply the seal first?

September 29, 2018 at 2:26 pm
  • Romel Madray

Hi,thanks for the video.

Canvas and paper are hard and expensive to get. I I wanted to find out the following for using acrylics and pastels:
    General questions about wood.
    1.Can I use hardwood (such as teak or mahogany )directly from the lumber yard that have not been dried out. Normally fresh wood needs to be dried out because the wood tends to warp.However I an using 9*12 inchesand smaller canvases 4*4 inches etc Have you ever dried out the wood yourself.
    2.If using hardboard (such as teak or mahogany ) do I need to prime the board with a primer specifically for wood or can I use the rustoleum?
    3.Thereafter do I need to place on gesso or can I use acrylic paint strain after priming. I understand that gesso now is primarily acrylic based latex from what you indicated

For pastels:

If I am using a piece of wood that has been dried, can I prime and then add on gesso with grit for a surface?

Or for a hardwood surface can you recommend using some sort of hardware glue and mixing in the grit to develop a surface for pastels?
    For acrylics

I purchased recently purchased

Kylon Color Master (Paint + Primer) and Rustoelum Painters Touch (Paint +Primer) to use. Would you know if these products can be used as primer in the same way rustoleum primer is used. The packaging for Rustoelum Painters Touch (Paint +Primer) states 2X ULTRA COVER ENAMEL SPRAYS Resin Type Acrylic Modified Alkyd, Solvents Acetone,Butyl Acetate, Naphtha, Xylene
    Just priming it directly with the rustoleum primer would that be sufficient to allow me just to paint straight on with acrylics?

Thank you for your time in looking at this

September 29, 2018 at 3:10 pm
  • Jean Fugate-Besalke

First I want to say great video Dave Usher!! I purchased some hardboard to make some signs can I ask again what you used to seal the board before painting it? Also, since I am going to nail the hardboard to a frame should I still seal both sides? Thank you again and great job!!

September 29, 2018 at 3:20 pm
  • Ayesha Khan

Thanks for the video Sir.
    consider me level zero beginner.
    i want to ask if i take a huge piece of hardboard and paint it white front n black would that serve as a good surface and background to sketch and do oil painting over it ?Not exactly an artist so i m trying few thing can this work??thanks

September 29, 2018 at 4:03 pm
  • Patricia H

I call the "failures" prototypes.

September 29, 2018 at 4:05 pm
  • kevin doc

Thank you Dave for taken the time to make this video it is most help,all the best!

September 29, 2018 at 4:37 pm
  • Maribel Oriola

h DAVE me a hecho gracia ver este vidio ,,, le da mas farna el pre pararlo ,,,,que en pintar ,, pero esta muy bien expricarlo…

September 29, 2018 at 5:00 pm
  • Reynaldo Martinez

Mr, Usher if you wanted to sale your paintings on your work table, on ,www. etsy.com ,for big money! everyone that's seen your step by step Videos, love's your art works, an would love to buye them from you, Sir $" big money! ! $" .

September 29, 2018 at 5:59 pm
  • Rick Morty

I bought some mdf because I couldn't find a decent hardboard. Is there a big difference between the two? And can I use an acrylic gesso instead of a primer? Thanks

September 29, 2018 at 6:22 pm
  • WanderleiSilva29

this may be a stupid question, but can I use semi gloss polyurethane on an acrylic painting? I painted my acoustic guitar face with acrylic…. The guitar has a standard factory gloss finish on it, less the face of the body….. I would like to get the same finish on the face so the face doesn't look dull while the rest of it shines….. Can I do this with polyurethane or will that ruin the acrylic? Would tung oil, shalaq, or truoil be better?

September 29, 2018 at 7:17 pm
  • Sharlene Curry

Thank you for your video..I appreciated the info..

September 29, 2018 at 7:18 pm
  • bito BITO

i am luis ipaiting casual. I see some for paint I likE the painting

September 29, 2018 at 7:40 pm