How to Paint air! Oil Painting and Plein Air Tutorial

How to Paint air! Oil Painting and Plein Air Tutorial

• Draw Paint Repeat

I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone who has subscribed. Today, I passed 1K subscribers, and because of you (and people like Steve @ Mind of Watercolor and Brian Ashmore Studio for their shout outs!) we did it in under 4 months. That blows me away and makes all the work that goes into these vids worth it. Can't wait to see what comes next, but I will be doing some kind of thank you video with a prize drawing coming up. Again, a big THANKS!!! I appreciate every one of you!

November 30, 2018 at 9:09 am
  • Vic Flanigan

Absolutely beautiful! Thank you! Do you teach classes at Scottsdale School of Art or other areas?

November 30, 2018 at 9:36 am
  • Owais Abbas

PLEASE do tutorial on mixing colors and making values right.

November 30, 2018 at 10:22 am
  • Peter Short

Can I ask, for this demo, what colors you were using on your palette?

November 30, 2018 at 10:39 am
  • 1000 subs with no vids

Really enjoy your videos and your art is incredible ?
    Subbed

November 30, 2018 at 11:36 am
  • The Mind of Watercolor

Now thats the best explanation of AP on a whiteboard I've ever seen. LOL! As for Boo? Maybe she can teach the cats around my house a thing or two about mousing. Seriously though, AP has always been fascinating to me. I remember standing in front of an 6' tall Albert Bierstadt for the first time when i was bout 13 years old. I didn't know what AP was then but I could see it. The atmospheric painting effects left an indelible mark on me. Great treatment of the subject and always a joy to watch you paint!

November 30, 2018 at 11:46 am
  • Essie Tangle

I’m thinking here, I see the color drop off in your examples but I am confused in your painting example. It seems to have pretty strong color all the way up. Mid way I see greens but no yellow or red but there seems to be pretty good color to the top of the mountains. I guess, well, I need to get more pictures out and study them. You have the wheels turning in my brain for sure. After I do more research maybe I can ask more questions. Thanks

November 30, 2018 at 12:35 pm
  • luis garcia

Beautiful painting and excellent tutorial. One question though. How do you keep colors from getting muddy when layering one color over the other? thanks

November 30, 2018 at 12:45 pm
  • Painterly Brushes

awsome. thanks for sharing

November 30, 2018 at 12:51 pm
  • Jon Oates

Another useful tutorial Steve – thank you so much. You're up there with James Gurney and Andrew Tischler as one of my favourite YouTubers. Is it possible to show a cutaway to your palette so that we can see how you mix your values?

November 30, 2018 at 1:22 pm
  • Sandra Hill

Stunningly beautiful. Thank u so very much for sharing your talent with us.

November 30, 2018 at 2:17 pm
  • Ella Pesonen Art

Gorgeous… love the flower detail ?

November 30, 2018 at 2:53 pm
  • Snapper Lee

Awesome!……well done my friend!…..well done!

November 30, 2018 at 3:34 pm