Drying Time – Oil Painting Tutorial

Drying Time – Oil Painting Tutorial

• Everybody 48

So I used oil paint on my rock instead of acrylic by accident and I want to know how long this sucker will take to dry. Also it was a bitch to clean up after…

February 12, 2019 at 8:54 pm
  • maria jose reis

obrigado…os seus vídeos são fabulosos! É um excelente artista… Deus o abençoe…

February 12, 2019 at 9:10 pm
  • Marylou Niebrugge

Can I use water mixable oils and regular oils mixed with gamasol in one painting?

February 12, 2019 at 9:48 pm
  • brchen2018

I am so glad that I have found your channel. Your content is very informative and pleasant to watch, not even mentioning how beautiful your paintings are! Keep on going with your great job.

February 12, 2019 at 9:56 pm
  • raccoonhat21

February 12, 2019 at 10:32 pm
  • Zelda Chicken

I used linseed oil to thin out my oil and help cover a larger area on my paper. as you said linseed oil takes a long time to dry, but that's not what I want it for. If I use my Terpenoid (my brush cleaner) Will it still give me my desired thinning effect, but will dry faster?

February 12, 2019 at 11:25 pm
  • Juwairiah Juwairiah

Thanks

February 12, 2019 at 11:30 pm
  • GILBERT HOSTE

Thank you!!!

February 13, 2019 at 12:05 am
  • Ryan Embry

Been getting back into oil painting in a more focused, dedicated way in the last few years. I like to do multiple layers and glazes all throughout the painting, so it's important for my layers to dry quickly. Started out with liquin but soon found that it dried TOO quickly. After 4 or 6 hours of working it would start to tack up, and my colors would become gummy and unworkable. I wanted the speedy drying time, but I also needed a prolonged working time, as my painting sessions are usually all day. Like 8 to 12 hours, or more. So that was my frustration, I wanted to paint all day without the paint crapping up on me AND I wanted that fast drying time so I could layer and glaze in the next day or two. Then I got turned onto neo megilp, by gamblin. And holy crap do I love this stuff. With just a little bit on the brush as you paint, you get a drying time that's super close to liquin, maybe a touch longer, but you can work all day. No tacking up, no gumminess. Best medium I've come across!

February 13, 2019 at 12:27 am
  • Luanna Lee

Thank you for these lessons ?

February 13, 2019 at 1:01 am
  • Adraa Artist

nice ….but I have one question
    could we use acrylic colors as primary before we paint by oil ??

February 13, 2019 at 1:34 am
  • justin hunt

I love oil painting

February 13, 2019 at 2:30 am
  • Lesley Ann

I tend to paint in very thin layers and as a self taught artist I first used Liquin as I was a little scared of traditional mediums and how to use them. I have since tried them, but always seem to deviate back to Liquin as it suits my style the best. Thank you for sharing your knowledge ?.

February 13, 2019 at 2:54 am
  • Murder Ballad

adverts are annoying.

February 13, 2019 at 3:30 am
  • Timo Wiesner

Nice video but i think dou forgot to mention the Rule: “Fad over lean“ + the explination of it.

February 13, 2019 at 4:14 am
  • Burak Akbas

I am glad you mentioned about Mark Carder, he is a great artist. Like Florent, he also gives free lessons and demonstrations and shares his knowledge about oil painting.

Fortunately there are people like Florent Farges and Mark Carder, I owe you so much. Thank you very much for everything you do!

By the way I can’t stand Liquin’s scent. It makes me feel sick and gives me a headache. You should be very careful when using it, it’s so toxic.

February 13, 2019 at 5:04 am
  • Taylor J

Thank you! I've been waiting for a video like this for a while!

February 13, 2019 at 5:14 am
  • Emily W

This was super interesting, personally I prefer fast drying, I've tried linseed oil before and didn't get on with it at all, nowadays I just use 2 types of Liquin or no medium at all. Out of interest how do you go about cleaning your brushes?

February 13, 2019 at 5:31 am
  • squarz

If you want to slow down the drying of paint just add sennelier natural non toxic medium for fast drying. It will stay wet for weeks I don't know why lol.

February 13, 2019 at 5:41 am
  • Mike Gurney

My approach. Plan, Organize and execute, planning the painting is what (subject matter), do I need slow or fast or even medium drying time and through what stages of the painting do I want to apply what type of drying medium if any and keep in mind Fat over Lean. Don't get in a rush or rut, there is so much to remember but over time and experience everything comes together. Thanks for the reminder Florent, as always great video.

February 13, 2019 at 6:14 am