How to VARNISH an Oil Painting – My TOP 5 TIPS!

How to VARNISH an Oil Painting – My TOP 5 TIPS!

• Gris J. Gomez

This is all new to me, so I have a few questions for you, if I may: I use Gamsol in most of my paintings and hardly ever liquin/ Galkyd because my layers are pretty thin. So will I be safe to do a retouch varnish time speed up the process and put my paintings up for sale? I love that you mentioned something about not having the time to wait 6-10 months because I actually done. 2 were finished about 2 months ago, I about a month, and the latest one last week. All have very thin layers and matte finish. I appreciate your feedback. Your video is very informative.

November 9, 2019 at 9:00 am
  • Alun ap Rhisiart

The issue with using damar in a paint medium, for me, is partly yellowing and brittleness, but also the final varnish layer needs to be removed with solvent and fresh varnish applied every 50-70 years or so. You now have paint layer soluble in the same solvent that will be used to remove the varnish layer. For important paintings, I think there is much to be said for an initial isolating varnish of Laropal, which is never removed, over which there is a final varnish of Regalrez. The Regalrez takes the dirt and UV, and is easily removed with very weak solvent. The Laropal prevents that solvent coming into contact with the paint layer and is highly resistant to yellowing. Too much faff for my paintings, but Andrew’s are worth preserving.

November 9, 2019 at 9:55 am
  • linda lopez

Where is your signature? Do u sign your paintings?

November 9, 2019 at 10:07 am
  • Murder Ballad

did you get around to trying 'Zest-it' yet Andrew… ?

November 9, 2019 at 10:59 am
  • Evan Degenfelder

Andrew, I don't know if you will see this, but I do have a (unfortunately not related) question. Can you recommend an electric or battery powered staple gun for stretching canvas/linen? I have arthritis in my hands and have a hard time with a conventional gun, yet not sure I want to shell out $$ without a recommendation from someone knowledgeable. I used to have no problem with it but . . . . One other thing: I'm a figurative painter. Do you do much figurative other than portraiture? Well, hope you see this, I'm really enjoying your videos.

November 9, 2019 at 11:29 am
  • Helen Morgan

Lol…mummified flies!

November 9, 2019 at 11:52 am
  • sros6

Hi Andrew, I just varnished a large painting 2.5m x 1.5m following your method at the 34 minute mark with long horizontal strokes but when it is in the light I see all the join marks. Even though I blended as I went it was still possibly tacking up by the time I got back to the next line so there is a whole series of stripes. Or perhaps I did not use enough varnish? Not sure if I should try to turps it all back off and do it again or perhaps do another varnish but this time vertically? It looks fine when viewed straight on under good light, but if light hits it on an angle or sunlight etc you can see all the stripes. Any tips? Thanks in advance.

November 9, 2019 at 11:54 am
  • Lyn Wilcock

I wished you had been around when i painted regular, i copied the girl with a pearl earring by vermeer and the varnish was running and lumpy, it was dreadful then to top it all i had to cut it down to fit a frame.. your painting are beautiful xx

November 9, 2019 at 12:03 pm
  • desotopete

the plein air studies at abot 14:10…they look like they were done on foam core? Just curious.

November 9, 2019 at 12:09 pm
  • Tam C

Thanks a lot, mister, I was so confused about varnishing that I've never dared to try it. You are a lifesaver!

November 9, 2019 at 1:02 pm
  • Abdul Malik

Thanks Andrew, I'm from Indonesia

November 9, 2019 at 1:12 pm
  • Di Barcus

I’ve been wanting to learn the correct way to varnish a painting for quite awhile. Thank you so much for the info. I took notes.

November 9, 2019 at 1:20 pm
  • ShawN shawN

great stuff on being thorough in oil. I know a friend just sells them unvarnished, which shocked me, but made sense for the high volume. I work in acrylic, but always try to varnish to protect and highlight the paint after its dry to touch.

November 9, 2019 at 1:45 pm
  • Sandra Smith

Thanks Andrew. I have purchased several of your videos and love watching you create such beautiful paintings. I completed a painting in oil but my first layer was acrylic and some of this has not been painted over with oil. QUESTION: Is it ok to use oil varnish over the acrylic part of the painting?

November 9, 2019 at 2:36 pm
  • shinyvids K

Does anyone know if a painting done using Neo Megilip needs varnish, as it achieves a silk varnish finish, or does it lose that after a while?

November 9, 2019 at 3:00 pm
  • m b

thanks, this was really helpful 👍

November 9, 2019 at 3:48 pm
  • Owensv64

Great video. I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced varnish repelling on the canvas surface, (in a similar way that water will bead on, say, glass), and knows what causes this? I have noticed it particularly in areas that are most sunken. Thanks for any pointers or insights.

November 9, 2019 at 4:42 pm
  • janhomes50

So, Andrew, do you feel that a layer of Re-touch Varnish 'BEFORE' doing the final Varnish after a year…. is there a benefit to giving it this layer of Re Touch ??? Thx

November 9, 2019 at 5:13 pm
  • Marcelo Fernandez

i'm learning with my top artist from youtube, one is you. Someday i would like to pay your course, thanks for all your videos. Cheers from Buenos Aires, Argentina!

November 9, 2019 at 6:10 pm
  • DAVE FOX

Andrew, thank you very helpful. I have a painting that is almost ready for prevarnish. its a water scene with the water a dark mixture of pathalo blue and burnt umber. I want the water very smooth but left brushmarks in the underpainting that are noticeable. Ive painted over with another layer but still shows. thru. The biggest issue is the underpainting is dry and the marks cant be blended away. any suggestions?

November 9, 2019 at 6:12 pm