Oil Painting Tutorial | Diego Velázquez Study – COMPLETE VIDEO

Oil Painting Tutorial | Diego Velázquez Study – COMPLETE VIDEO

• susan williams

Yupari, did you know that this painting is a self portrait of Velaquez?

May 2, 2020 at 9:56 am
  • Letanias

How you know the color pallet or similar that use Diego Velazquez? Thanks. +

May 2, 2020 at 10:26 am
  • Gasparuccio X

is really excellent, i like asre the way you work with dry brushes, really inspiring

May 2, 2020 at 11:16 am
  • chikkachinijohannady

how are you cleaning your brush each time you switch to ba different color?

May 2, 2020 at 11:43 am
  • Anna Mcknight

The neck wear is a ruff

May 2, 2020 at 12:16 pm
  • Anthony Coleman

What do you use to pre-tone your canvas.

May 2, 2020 at 12:57 pm
  • Anna Mcknight

Velasquez palette: white, red, brown, black, yellow. Nothing else.

May 2, 2020 at 1:24 pm
  • t0raneko

Velasquez would have had access mostly to ochres, black and lead white. Blue was available as lapis lazuli but was too expensive for most artists. You can see his palette in Las Meninas. I'm not sure if vermillion was around during his time.

May 2, 2020 at 1:54 pm
  • rdrettig May 2, 2020 at 2:02 pm
  • gary richardson

Hello my friend! Thanks for so generously sharing your portrait painting journey. The mystery article of clothing is called, I believe, a "collar". Cheers!

May 2, 2020 at 2:27 pm
  • Amanda Contreras

Great video! What do you recommend concerning varnishing paintings? I'm always so afraid to try it after I complete a painting…

May 2, 2020 at 2:46 pm
  • Peter Peter

whats the type of the canvas (can someone say)

May 2, 2020 at 2:57 pm
  • Corinne Elysia

When in doubt blur it out. Lol. Another great vid

May 2, 2020 at 3:46 pm
  • Debra Schulman

This instructional video as well as last Wed. Alla Prima style have been 2 of your best. I notice during the drawing stage you are not creating such a "cartoon" shaded block in….and rather than focusing on the the darks in the beginning of the add color stage you are focusing on the light and middle values. I really like this approach. …and thank you for the excellent description of your pallette on the Diego study. The precise description as well as the very clear explaination of Flake White is an help enormous help. I will be trying out the additional color railes (?) in my next attempt. I am sure using the big wooden pallette is the best way to paint, but honestely not my favorite on the video screen….it was so easy to watch your color selections when the pallette was on glass next to the painting…..so if you choose to continue to use the wooden pallette please continue with the oral description of color choice from the pallette for those of us who still have difficulity with flesh tones…..and continue to show the pallette whenever possible…..ps…be sure to mention your Patreon account because I never heard of such a thing until my son told me about Patreon accounts by various artists!

May 2, 2020 at 4:42 pm
  • Linda Groene

also, I got a palette like yours and I love that too! I always painted from a table palette and I find I love to hold the palette, I can stand back and move forward, and get the paint mixes closer to the painting.

May 2, 2020 at 5:08 pm
  • Linda Groene

I think its called a ruff. Its a type of fancy collar. And I am doing a figure drawing, copying a pose from Simbal anatomy for artists. Lots of good dancers posing in it, dramatically lit. I LOVE that book.

May 2, 2020 at 5:10 pm
  • maria-dolores vazquez-abad May 2, 2020 at 6:04 pm
  • YotaStyle

I am doing this! Master studies are my favorites! Thank you Yupari!

May 2, 2020 at 6:06 pm
  • DONDO

Thanks Yupari really loving the master studies , especially Diego Velazquez. I completed several cropped versions so far (portraits of Pope Innocent X , a man from Los Borrachos and Man with a goatee) Diego’s collar I believe was a version of a Ruff , called a flat Ruff.

May 2, 2020 at 6:23 pm
  • maria-dolores vazquez-abad

answer: i would choose to travel in time and watch Velazquez and Sorolla

May 2, 2020 at 6:57 pm