Getting Started with Cold Wax Medium and Oil Paint

Getting Started with Cold Wax Medium and Oil Paint

• neoaureus

Is she really sitting on top of a New York skyscraper ?

May 26, 2020 at 9:53 pm
  • Kate White

Hi Kim – is cold wax very toxic? Do you need a major exhaust system as you do with encaustic? …..thank you!

May 26, 2020 at 10:43 pm
  • Nicole D'Amore

All the videos i've seen for cold wax oil painting are done in an abstract style. Can you do realistic painting with this medium?

May 26, 2020 at 11:11 pm
  • Ulf Ekwall

Thanks! Great info…

May 26, 2020 at 11:20 pm
  • Rhianna Lynn Martin

Thanks for this video! I’m just beginning this journey and I was wondering if a 4 ounce container of Gamblin would be enough to do a painting? How much is usually used in one painting? I just am curious about how much I should invest right off the bat.

May 26, 2020 at 11:36 pm
  • Jill Snider

Can't hear any instruction. 🙁

May 27, 2020 at 12:34 am
  • Susan van Duijkeren

Thanks very much Kim, i searched for months for this information, i’m glad that you explained it carefully, and i hope to see more information and oil/wax your works!

May 27, 2020 at 12:48 am
  • Mac Kizzer

U can barely hear u, for the future video, but thanks for the video btw

May 27, 2020 at 1:30 am
  • aGuyWhoTypes

I tried cold wax and oil and quite frankly I don't like the dull flat look it gives, please no offense. Can I cover over it with oil mixed with stand oil? Or can I scrap it off then put more straight oil on top? I like the look of regular oil only and I do like it mixed with stand oil.

May 27, 2020 at 1:56 am
  • Edith Marshall

how about clean up ? is that wax water soluble ? I plan to use water soluble oil paint. Thanks for the video with good info !

May 27, 2020 at 2:55 am
  • Mari Berg

Thank you. Can I mix in the same painting the traditional turpentine or Liquin for special effects and apply refined linseed oil?

May 27, 2020 at 3:50 am
  • Margaret Dodd

is that really your view!!

May 27, 2020 at 4:14 am
  • Mary Mary

Thank you. I use the plastic tools which are made for smoothing filler on cars/trucks. They are inexpensive it is possible to buy a pack of several different sizes for a couple of £’s.

May 27, 2020 at 4:33 am
  • Karmakat59

Hi Kim,, thanks for your informative videos. I'm just starting my exploration of CWM in my mixed media art and wondered if you knew if the new water-soluble oil paints can be mixed directly into CWM like traditional oil paint….. I can't seem to find any information online about it.
    Thanks kindly, Kat

May 27, 2020 at 5:14 am
  • Bluegrass Arts Anne

Thanks 😉 good overview

May 27, 2020 at 5:36 am
  • Natalie Callwood Art

Hi great beginner vid I was wondering how long does it take for the finished piece to dry I don't like useing oil paint because of the drying time,does the wax make it dry faster or slower?

May 27, 2020 at 6:14 am
  • Judith Moore

Good info but hard to hear and get clear message. Problem is not audio tech. But is how you (dont) project your voice. It is very quiet and words trail off. Hope this helps

May 27, 2020 at 7:00 am
  • Gillian Baxter

Hi what grade of graphite crayon do you use please?

May 27, 2020 at 7:54 am
  • Argendiego

Hello Kim, I did a large Oil/wax painting on canvas using palette knife three months ago, it seems dry when I touch, but today I wanted to give a finish protective wax coat with a soft fabric, and the pigment comes off, especially where I used Prussian blue.
    I need to deliver it in two weeks and don't know how to make, I would appreciate your help!.

May 27, 2020 at 8:13 am
  • Lark in TN

Based on your comment that acrylic paints can't be used with the cold wax, I'm guessing that water-soluble oils wouldn't work, either?

May 27, 2020 at 8:16 am