#100 How To Make an Artist's Panel | Oil Painting Tutorial

#100 How To Make an Artist's Panel | Oil Painting Tutorial

• emmgrl

Is the paints that you use to Prime the MDF is it like a house paint like an indoor primer acrylic water based primer or does it have to be like from a Arts and Crafts paint supply store

October 11, 2020 at 9:29 am
  • Lulani Lee

@Michael James Smith Thx so much for sharing this. What size are the panels when you start painting on them ? They look rather square. Is this your preferred panel shape?

October 11, 2020 at 10:17 am
  • Beadybonce

What a faff…just get PVA universal primer and seal the board. Then gesso or any other white/grey primer to your choice. If he’s, sand and do two coats. Sorted.

October 11, 2020 at 10:42 am
  • warut siti

ข้อมูลนี้มีประโยชน์มากครับ

October 11, 2020 at 11:05 am
  • ConfusedOilPainting

I see you are training for a boxing bout with a kestrel.. good luck my friend.

October 11, 2020 at 11:46 am
  • Judy Stephens

Awesome tutorial

October 11, 2020 at 12:44 pm
  • Glyn Dyer

MDF won’t stand the test of time. It just absorbs moisture, expands and disintegrates……water resistant mdf ( the green stuff) fairs better.

October 11, 2020 at 1:28 pm
  • Ian Robinson

Looks more like 9mm

October 11, 2020 at 1:51 pm
  • luciana Ritzel

Michael sou sua fã !👏👏👏👏

October 11, 2020 at 1:54 pm
  • Paintings by Dusan

Very interesting video Michael, lots of great information on how to go about it. Excellent videos mate.

October 11, 2020 at 2:43 pm
  • Amritpalh H

U should go on landscape artist of the year dude on sky

October 11, 2020 at 2:55 pm
  • Patricia Ward

Love your demos Micheal. I have now bought some MDF to paint on and have just sanded it down and given it one coat of emulsion. Just wondering about this process making the MDF too smooth, creating no tooth? Can you please reassure me about this. Patsy

October 11, 2020 at 3:10 pm
  • Dhea Jamila

✌😍

October 11, 2020 at 3:57 pm
  • No Name

MDF isn’t as moisture resistant as you think. I have had several MDF panels warp on me, but I do live in an area with a high humidity! I’ve also had MDF become moldy after 3 or 4 weeks of simply sitting in my shop. So I find it best to paint it with an acrylic as soon as possible!

October 11, 2020 at 4:14 pm
  • Chris Griffith

Standard sheet size is 4x8ft. Several other things you may want to know, I only found this out recently… the advantage of a material like "rabbit skin glue" is that it will delaminate if you apply heat to it, the painting on top will separate and this is a major advantage to restorations because they can literally transfer the painting to a new surface, canvas or panel as they need. Acrylics, you cannot, and oil paint does not adhere well to this medium in the long run. PVA is the same problem. The best you can do is to build a larger base of oil (as a ground for the painting) over the primer/sealer so the painting itself can be delaminated by other means.

October 11, 2020 at 5:09 pm
  • Green Heritage

You are my super Hero,No one like you 🙏🥰💝💖🌷🌷🌿💕💐💐🌹😍

October 11, 2020 at 5:14 pm
  • Painting Nepal

very good This video i want learn . its best

October 11, 2020 at 5:55 pm
  • Hondo Trailside

I have no comment on blocking in as a stage in a painting, but I increasingly worry, at least for those who want to gain long term durability, about the durability of any acrylic paint. The next generation of scientists always say their plastics will last for ever, but each generation is let down again. I have painted both in acrylic, and over acrylic, but I worry having heard what is happening with Warhol and other acrylic paint works.

October 11, 2020 at 6:25 pm
  • Hondo Trailside

MDF is water resistant, like newsprint is water resistant. The term may have different meanings the world over. Where I live watches that you could take swimming used to be sold as water proof. Now they have to call them water resistant to avoid false advertising, but the implication is a high degree immersion protection. I would not even call marine plywood water resitant, it uses glues that are designed for use in water, but the ply is made of wood, and wood eventually rots wit exposure to water.

Of the panel products, MDF is about the worst for water damage. And in many of it's forms it has a strong odder that emerges on a warm day. It is basically designed for making furniture that will have a veneered surface, so you can think of it as a core product, primarily. It is dimensionally stable, and smooth and flat, and takes paint well. But I would never use the stuff, it is dusty to cut, weak, and all around trash. But I see no reason why it would fall off one's wall. People paint everything from circular saw blades to toilet seats, with success.

October 11, 2020 at 6:34 pm