PAINT TALK: The hardest thing about oil painting

PAINT TALK: The hardest thing about oil painting

• acarter809

That was definitely helpful

December 22, 2020 at 9:12 am
  • madguitar1086

This is the exact opposite philosophy of Bob Ross. He always said a thin paint will stick to A thick paint.

December 22, 2020 at 9:14 am
  • buffy0828

Why am I so nervous to work with oils?? I have this WEIRD fear about starting a fire with the rags and the gamsol, and the linseed oil…I heard that the rags can ignite? if I just wipe my brush will it be ok? Is there a specific process?

December 22, 2020 at 9:36 am
  • Ella Zamora

Can you do a video on the technical process of wet on wet painting regarding mediums?

December 22, 2020 at 10:12 am
  • Ella Zamora

When you sand a painting shouldn't you wear a mask to avoid toxic dust?

December 22, 2020 at 11:09 am
  • headrushindi

So I am assuming that the Technique that Bob Ross uses "wet on wet" works far differently , because in his famous teaching he preaches just the opposite . In his own words he says " Remember, a Thin paint sticks to a thicker paint".

December 22, 2020 at 11:39 am
  • Nathalia Hiatt

So helpful!

December 22, 2020 at 12:30 pm
  • Joe Nadzady

Thanks for this video. I always seem to fight my paint when oil painting and have to wait for layers to dry before I go to the next color. Appreciate the lesson.

December 22, 2020 at 1:02 pm
  • Lynne Loveys Kane

What are you saying? Gamesoil? Does this replace lindseed oil? Thanks!

December 22, 2020 at 1:27 pm
  • Geovana Tolentino

Thank you so much for this video!!!!!

December 22, 2020 at 1:44 pm
  • Free Spirit With Nature

I need some help please. I’m new to oils and I’ve done a beautiful sky . I was doing a wave on bottom, and it didn’t look to bad , I was watching the painting with Justin wave and I got the blue right, and the yellow eye ,and I took pictures,however my friend said it looked far better darker,so I decided to make the mistake of putting darker green over the blue and erased my decent wave . Now my oil paints still sticky and dark . I can still see the round brush mark where I made the big . curve beneath the sticky paint . I want to put in another wave but because it’s sticky I’m waiting for it to dry . The sky took forever but it’s my first try . The only (clean white surface ) on my 20/30 canvas is one inch at the horizon line I originally covered and is still covered . Where I did the one big wave is about 2 inches below the bottom part of the tape / 3 inches if I remove the tape . It’s almost dry . Would you do the wave where it’s pure white or wait until the paint is 100% dry ,and how do I lighten up my deep green colour because I’m going to have to somehow paint over that area where my last wave was ,but it’s so dark ,I’m afraid white or yellow won’t show up ,and I’m afraid to retouch it before it dries in case I really mess it up . If it didn’t look good I’d scrap it ,but it’s really good for my first time. Thank you so much!❤️ your work .

December 22, 2020 at 1:49 pm
  • Tyler Jirkovsky

This is the hardest thing about all painting

December 22, 2020 at 2:32 pm
  • Jeanetta du Preez

Thanks!

December 22, 2020 at 3:14 pm
  • Rusmin Noer

IMHO. The pink color usually is a transparent color.
    White usually is opaque.
    Opaque color can replace any other color.
    Simple.
    Artist color always mention opaque or transparent or between.

December 22, 2020 at 3:24 pm
  • Deborah Robinson

Best explanation ever! Thank you so much.

December 22, 2020 at 3:59 pm
  • Clarice Aust

You remind me of one of my nephews who is a ski instructor and also a really good teacher. Good lesson; even though I'd seen videos on this before, I had a hard time understanding what the differences entailed before I watched this.

December 22, 2020 at 4:07 pm
  • Alan Roberts

Ive gone back to acrylics because the drying time is so much faster. if the bottom layer is dryer you can cover it with another color real easy. and you can still add oil paint sections.

December 22, 2020 at 4:57 pm
  • AM Castro

This work great on canvas but when I try to apply it to a primed mdf I get discouraged, is to slick, any thoughts?

December 22, 2020 at 5:04 pm
  • Wendy Nuttall

Very helpful – thanks for the simple explanation

December 22, 2020 at 5:53 pm
  • Retro Ink

So so helpful. Im fairly new to oils and I was having this exact issue.

December 22, 2020 at 5:58 pm