What Oil Painting Is All About

What Oil Painting Is All About

• thepowderriverfarrier

These could be really useful without that unrelenting music in the background. At least give us the option to turn it off.

January 11, 2021 at 8:33 am
  • Victoria Chapman

What brush cleaner do you recommend to use to get off oil paint that wont eat your brushes? I used jasco brush cleaner wouldn’t recommend for sure.

January 11, 2021 at 8:46 am
  • Victor Alosi

Scrub in the darks lay on the lights

January 11, 2021 at 9:04 am
  • Kelly Lee

Where can I buy oil paint??

January 11, 2021 at 9:18 am
  • Matt Brand

Really helpful tips, have really been appreciating and soaking up a lot from your videos man. Thanks for putting the time and effort into spreading the knowledge and experiential wisdom, Chris.

One question coming off this vid—what would you recommend if someone was interested in gaining quick reps for wet on wet abstract expressionism type work? Is this possible to do in one sitting without having to first plan things out/do some thin layers underneath? Better suited for acrylics given their dry time?

January 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
  • i eat a lot

Hey so i just got everything it’s on its way, and i just wanted to clarify this since I’m watching non stop tutorials. My plan is obviously after liquid white to prep the canvas, go with oil+gamsol for the first layer, oil and linseed oil , then straight oil (obvios variance in between etc). Just want to make sure that when i start painting i make as little mistakes as possible lol thanks for your videos man!

January 11, 2021 at 10:40 am
  • Caticorn 61

Ok so if you happen to put too thick of paint on the canvas, ans you try and out more on ans it what was underneath just comes off what do you do

January 11, 2021 at 10:47 am
  • Jack

I really didn't enjoy this video

January 11, 2021 at 11:47 am
  • Simone Greco

Isn't more convenient to leave spaces and block in forms to save time and paint? Like one area is assumed to be blue, other is orange etc…

January 11, 2021 at 12:41 pm
  • ರಾಜು G.R

January 11, 2021 at 1:16 pm
  • Shannie

Nice video and demonstration ,thank you👍👍
    couldn't help but noticing the swallowing sound tho lols

January 11, 2021 at 1:56 pm
  • American Mining

So oil painting is all about painting over other paint? Wow this was dumb. I thought, from the title, there was something deeper going on here. Like oil paint is all about the enjoyment of creating beauty and the satisfaction, etc, etc. Check Please!

January 11, 2021 at 2:05 pm
  • SKN Arts & Crafts

nice…..Video….
    #SKNArtsandcrafts

January 11, 2021 at 2:38 pm
  • Nothing Special

Hi! I want to ask a question, but it may take some time to read it in video, so I'll be very-very happy if you сould answer me here 😳. Sorry if I did a mistake, because English isn't my native language, but i tried hard to explain the situation correctly:

The artists I know say that they never feel the difficulty, but only the pleasure of painting(they're not very famous, not very experienced and wasnt learning in art schools; theyre painting in naive style, but its still a huge work that brings them money).

When I paint with oils(more realistically), I always feel like I’m pushing my limits. It's almost physically difficult, I feel like my brain is boiling. And my work is almost always divided into stages:

1) shit

2) shit

3) I thought it couldn't be worse, but here we are

4) maybe all my previous 'wins' was just a randomness?
    5) some magic happens at the 90% of process

6) perfection, it must have been drawn by the spirit of Leonardo da Vinci, which had taken the control over my body when I was at that 90%

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I don’t feel that the process of painting is getting easier, I work hard and it rarely gives me pleasure (only at the end). I love the result and I feel really satisfied by the work I did, but where is the pleasure and lack of difficulties that everyone is talking about?
    Ty so much for attention!

January 11, 2021 at 3:03 pm
  • Three Colours

The informative lesson for beginners. Listen. Good luck

January 11, 2021 at 3:48 pm
  • BlueEyedMatt42

Man, I had to figure out the hard way to do that with acrylic. Just paint a different part for ten minutes, and then come back. Too much water.

January 11, 2021 at 4:11 pm
  • Lydie Hartiel

I was told to use some siccative in my paintings but I'm not really convinced, any thought on that? 🤔 Thank you for your really helpful videos! ☺👍

January 11, 2021 at 4:28 pm
  • IG Fine Art

So nice painting my art friend..🖼🧑🏻‍🎨👍

January 11, 2021 at 5:07 pm
  • Kevin Case

How often should I change my gamsol/turp? I have two jars with wire racks that I cycle through letting one jar settle and then just use the “settled” jar, been painting with oils for four months and have never changed the turp.

January 11, 2021 at 5:21 pm
  • Karla Jeníčková

I might have a different question. How do you approach painting big areas (with no detail) or backgrounds and such? I block it in and then don't know what to do with it. Don't know how to create a texture or color change that would feel natural (especially in portrait painting).

January 11, 2021 at 5:23 pm