How to start a portrait in oil. Fundamental approach to prevent mistakes. Complete tutorial.

• Birgit Blume

Thank you so much! I'm just starting and this is sooo helpful!!

July 29, 2022 at 10:17 am
  • Ibrahim

Its very enjoyable to watch ❤️

July 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
  • Andreas

Ben, which combination would you use to mix Terra Rosa by yourself?

July 29, 2022 at 10:52 am
  • 8675309

I love everything about this. The calm way you explain your process, your loose painterly style, the focus on simple blocking in of shapes and approximations of local color/value, and (being a guitarist myself) the short break to play some Blackbird (one of my favorites to jam out on). This is how I like/want to paint. Thank you.

July 29, 2022 at 11:28 am
  • Zinb Znoba

😀😍🤌🏻🤌🏻🤌🏻🤌🏻🤌🏻

July 29, 2022 at 12:01 pm
  • P

This is the content we in need youtube❤Many thanks🙏

July 29, 2022 at 12:59 pm
  • dionys

Blackbird!

July 29, 2022 at 1:08 pm
  • Y C

Great video with lots of details. It’s worthy to be watched over and over again. Thank you!

July 29, 2022 at 1:44 pm
  • Geralt Grey-Mane

Wow!!! 🙂 This was so much fun!!!!! I have drawn my whole life, but as I grew older I did it less and less. But my intresse in oil painting have been flairing up haha, this gave me the kick I needed to get started again and try something new as this. Tho I am use to drawing and always nail down the detail first, this will be a good challange for me hehe. Thank you Ben for your lesson!

July 29, 2022 at 1:47 pm
  • Carol Li

this is absolutely stunning !!!! Your videos are very helpful as I'm currently learning how to paint portraits. I want to be able to paint like you!

July 29, 2022 at 2:45 pm
  • Ignazio Monti

Wow, ottima tecnica, per fare le fotocopie ci sono le stampanti, un dipinto è altro. Bellissimo dipinto, secondo me nel dipinto sembra un po' più grande, sarà il bambino a diventare come il dipinto nel giro di qualche mese. Complimenti

July 29, 2022 at 2:58 pm
  • Bhupendra R

It's really helpful.

July 29, 2022 at 3:54 pm
  • norm lapensée

It is so nice to have someone (Pro) like you that is not afraid to share is tips and is expérience . / Tellement agréable d'avoir un Pro qui se fait un plaisir de partager ses trucs et son expérience avec simplicité … Je ne peints plus autant mais je regarde toujours vos vidéo ./I do not paint as much as before (i am 71 y.old ) but i alway keep an eye on your video . Bravo .. God bless you / que Dieu vous bénisse … Friendley /Amicalement .

July 29, 2022 at 4:06 pm
  • مرتضى التميمي

Nice 🎨 🖼

July 29, 2022 at 4:15 pm
  • Auror Incorporated

Thank You!

July 29, 2022 at 5:04 pm
  • carolina del solar

Thank you! Your video is concise, clearly explained and full of invaluable information. A true Master class!

July 29, 2022 at 5:09 pm
  • srinvas Bhumi

Good painting sir

July 29, 2022 at 5:29 pm
  • Danielle Parent

A sentence you said in several of your videos struck me: "you must be courageous". I wrote it on a watercolour paper, and surrounded her by beautiful colours. Four words, whit a great strength. This sentence has greatly changed my artistic advancement. As if,I welcomed a strong dose of courage and confidence. So now I have this quote in my workshop, from a master portraitist who has had a tremendous impact on my life as an beginner artist. A deep thank you Mister Lustenhouwer.

Danielle Parent 🇨🇦

July 29, 2022 at 5:53 pm
  • georgia may

brilliant to watch so many changes with so many colors as he goes .. wonderful to watch this level of experience

July 29, 2022 at 6:41 pm
  • Rebecca Reilly

This is so incredibly informative and transparent. I love hearing his thought process throughout the painting too

July 29, 2022 at 7:03 pm