Acrylic Painting for Beginners

Acrylic Painting for Beginners

• SleepyKyju

Question! I wound up moving out of the fine art program my high school had and switching to animation and graphic design. I am pretty much entirely a self-taught artist and recently have been getting more into paint. I'm currently a freelance illustrator but it's mostly digital, and then traditional mediums are what I use for recreation. Something my AGD teacher (who also has an MFA and was teaching fine art originally) said that COMPLETELY changed how I feel about using paint is to use Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, and White. When I got my starter set of Holbein gouache 4-5 years back it came with CMYKW in the pack and I fell in love with the vibrancy of the colors. I've started using acrylic in those colors the last few months for some side projects and I'm loving the results. The stuff I hated about acrylic before turned out to be how I was taught to mix the colors in that one high school art class.

So, my question for you is, why do you recommend the colors you do as a starter set? Almost all of those colors can be mixed by using CMYKW. None of them appear particularly vibrant either and that's not really something one can add back. I'm genuinely curious!

December 6, 2022 at 8:21 pm
  • Rahma

Thanks for the useful information❤

December 6, 2022 at 8:30 pm
  • Donnelle Bohnke

Really enjoyed the video. Just starting out and your explanations were clear and concise. Thank you

December 6, 2022 at 9:08 pm
  • donna karen edwards

Thank you, I knew none of this. I've been working with watercolors, but I want to start working with acrylics. This video is very helpful

December 6, 2022 at 9:54 pm
  • J B

Hi, halfway through your helpful video thanks. 2 suggestions: in my opinion: stay wet palettes are worth using, or homemade ones, many oil painters start in acrylic, then move to oils, though generally acrylic painted on with oil paints works, vice versa doesn't, I hope these opined suggestions are helpful. Regards JB

December 6, 2022 at 10:43 pm
  • Sue Smith

Great YouTube channel very informative. Thanks for sharing.

December 6, 2022 at 11:26 pm
  • Photographe Demode

👏

December 6, 2022 at 11:46 pm
  • LindaLou Montana

Can Floetrol be used as a medium with acrylic paints?

December 7, 2022 at 12:45 am
  • caroline mukunda

this has been v helpful, thank you!

December 7, 2022 at 1:38 am
  • TITA

it helped me a LOT! i needed to watch this! loved to learn about the layers be painted with the complementary colors fisrt and by doing so we add the real color. I didn't use to do that! thank you!

December 7, 2022 at 2:07 am
  • Sean Mahoney

I like to use tin foil as my pallet … seems to work well and is cheap

December 7, 2022 at 2:10 am
  • gwen chaperon

Just subscribed and I am not even half way through learning lots magical

December 7, 2022 at 2:38 am
  • Pearl Austin Jane Omectin

Acrylic painting is nice. It is a fast-drying paint made of pigment suspended in acrylic polymer emulsion and plasticizers, silicone oils, defoamers, stabilizers, or metal soaps. Most acrylic paints are water-based, but become water-resistant when dry. Depending on how much the paint is diluted with water, or modified with acrylic gels, mediums, or pastes, the finished acrylic painting can resemble a watercolor, a gouache, or an oil painting, or have its own unique characteristics not attainable with other media.

December 7, 2022 at 3:01 am
  • BV Phil

Thank you for this video! I have learn a lot of in-depth information on Acrylic painting and the things that beginners like me should consider when starting Acrylic painting (Materials, brushes to consider, number of colors, etc…), even though I have some little experience before with Acrylic painting. With this video, I've learn more about color mixing techniques, brushing /stroking styles and techniques, that I can use for future use if I ever engage in Acrylic painting again.

December 7, 2022 at 3:06 am
  • Megan Cubbedge

Great video! Thanks so much for the tips.

December 7, 2022 at 3:06 am
  • Kim Ward

VERY informative. Thank you please make more videos!

December 7, 2022 at 3:49 am
  • LeeLanHua

I think the advice about not using black or white is useless

I would rather teach that you can use it in the last 10 minutes of painting so that you can paint small white and black details

All of my paintings without white or black are just boring
    You don’t have this blick of light or anything because the lightest value is slightly yellow

Paintings lack this sharpness that black and white give

December 7, 2022 at 4:36 am
  • Kevin Collier

wow! i really wish i watched this video before starting to paint as a hobby. i only recently started using gesso, and i've literally never heard of mediums. i have always pencil sketched beforehand though.

December 7, 2022 at 4:44 am
  • Marcus Garcia

Don't eat the paint. Ok, got it. I've never painted before, and this is an excellent video, thank you!

December 7, 2022 at 5:20 am
  • Za Arteest Dana Portier Morvant

Is there a brand that has less odor? I have used masters Touch for years and all of a sudden it started triggering my asthma.

December 7, 2022 at 5:32 am