A Few Basics – How To Start An Oil Landscape Painting

A Few Basics – How To Start An Oil Landscape Painting

• maureen mcsherri

I am new to oils. Started with acrylics. I love your lose style and artwork. I think I switched to oils to loosen up and you are a great teacher for that.

March 1, 2021 at 8:37 am
  • Henry Tjernlund

Your auto focus probably has trouble with the blank canvas filling most of the screen. Then waving the brush makes it hunt for the focus on that, but since the brush was moving it was blurry and it couldn't find the focus on that either.

March 1, 2021 at 9:16 am
  • Dani

Hi Stuart, Thank you for these amazing tutorials. I am new to oil painting and I ave watched a few teachers on Youtube but you are the best for me. I love your videos. Your style is also like Turner- an artist I love. You have opened up the world of oil painting for me and it is a hobby I hope to continue for the rest of my life. It's so good for a healthy mind and I believe it does keep you sane (or saner lol). Painting is a form of meditation in a way. It prompts one to look around more and notice tiny details in nature when walking or driving around.
    I am in the process of painting my first ever oil painting…so far I have completed the sky which is 2/3 of the canvas. I am quite happy with the sky and don't struggle with it. I love a big dramatic sky! But the landscape is a whole different story for some reason. I have scrubbed it loads of times as it just looks terrible. I seem to have trouble with the landscapes. I have just watched this video and found it very helpful so I will watch it again. More videos like this would be great- although I love all your videos.
    I would like to send you a photo of my work for some constructive criticism but I don't have Facebook. Is there another way I could send it over to you?
    Thank you once again Stuart. I am pregnant and am a single mum to be- so feeling very isolated during these current testing times. Your videos have been an amazing help during what could have felt much more lonely and isolated. They have definitely relieved that feeling of isolation as well as taught me some painting skills in the process.

March 1, 2021 at 9:22 am
  • buck rogers

what a magical effect with the white background,fantastic,thanks for the lessons

March 1, 2021 at 10:21 am
  • Kay Matlock

Kind of like being in a dream

March 1, 2021 at 11:17 am
  • alice serafin

It's perfect! Love it!!

March 1, 2021 at 12:01 pm
  • Susan Grunbaum

Scrub it out?!?!? Nooooo! It's very lovely as is.

March 1, 2021 at 12:59 pm
  • lisa fred

I haven't started oil painting yet, but this video was priceless in that I could start with 2 colors, cheap brushes and not have to invest a lot to see if I like oil painting. Thank you.

March 1, 2021 at 1:53 pm
  • Владимир Коровин

Большое спасибо за подробный обзор !!!

March 1, 2021 at 2:19 pm
  • sgtkat69

Would love to visit your place one day.

March 1, 2021 at 2:20 pm
  • italia gorino

Great fun

March 1, 2021 at 2:24 pm
  • Kayleen Serene

Such majestic music..

March 1, 2021 at 2:53 pm
  • Cathy Serafinowicz

Thank gawd you didn’t scrub it,I love the way it sits in the white board.🙏💕💕💕

March 1, 2021 at 3:27 pm
  • Willow The Golden Retriever

Hello. I am a beginner painter. I am thinking of practicing with oils on paper. And then build my confidence up to oil on plywood. Should I use a medium with my oils (on paper)? Does it matter, when it’s just fun and just practice? Thank you!

March 1, 2021 at 3:48 pm
  • Elaine Maria

What a place to have classes!!!!
    Wonderful, peacefully and out of this world !!!

March 1, 2021 at 4:43 pm
  • Richard Wait

Ok brilliant but absolutely loved the music what is it

March 1, 2021 at 4:44 pm
  • Donald b

Love you man

March 1, 2021 at 4:56 pm
  • Susan Duplan

Hi Stuart, do you ever paint coniferous trees? How would one go about that? I have ordered all my paints and I can hardly wait to start.

March 1, 2021 at 5:34 pm
  • Poetry Jones

Another practical, useful video, GORGEOUS drone scenery, and what is that wonderful music? Thank you yet again maestro 🙏🏼🌹

March 1, 2021 at 6:15 pm
  • Richard Turner

That is so amazing.  I've watched many of your video's, start to finish of course, and it is gradually clicking what you're teaching.  I am so new to oil painting, but have sketched for years, landscapes mostly.. and I had an a-ha moment after about 30 minutes in this one, and realized that you are actually just sketching with oil.  I know, I must be dense, but this one really resounded with me, as it finally clicked, I was gobsmacked as I watched you moving the pigment around on the canvas, the same way one would with lead on paper, and you are with brushes, paper towels and Q-tips on a gesso covered board.  Bravo Stuart.  You're good!  I know you have a lot of experience… it's all added up to make you very uniquely great at what you do.  keep up the good work, and I'll Keep watching.. maybe one day I can translate what is in my head, to a canvas with whatever tools God has laid down before me.

March 1, 2021 at 6:28 pm
  • Emily Mackey Art

The first 1000 people to use the link will get a free trial of Skillshare Premium Membership: https://skl.sh/emilymackeyart02211

March 1, 2021 at 6:50 pm
  • dalecullenART

This is so beautiful. Thanks for the tutorial. Looking forward to giving it a go!

March 1, 2021 at 7:39 pm
  • just lavanya

I tried it didn't came as expected but it's not that bad either😄

March 1, 2021 at 7:48 pm
  • V. Mishra's art

Excellent work👍

March 1, 2021 at 7:51 pm
  • I Sengupta

Love you @emily mackey

March 1, 2021 at 8:04 pm
  • Preeti Mujumdar

Girllll… U put in wayyyy too much sparkle, n i am NOT complaining!! 😂🤩🤩🤩

March 1, 2021 at 8:10 pm
  • Ababy

Hi Emily! Great to see you! Love this video

March 1, 2021 at 8:41 pm
  • Art Scape

This painting looks amazing!

March 1, 2021 at 9:07 pm
  • Emma

this is stunning omg!! the sparkles are so eye catching. i would lovee to see you do snowy/forest type paintings in oils, i feel like that would be so pretty. i love your oil painting tutorials, especially because i dont use any mediums or solvents either (except linseed oil lol) and that can be really tricky. keep up the great content!! <3

March 1, 2021 at 9:16 pm
  • Rosalie Moessner

I love this ! Thank-you. Very informative.

March 1, 2021 at 9:28 pm
  • Fat Frog

I have the hardest time making my colors. When I do it it’s to dark or to light. I have a hard time bringing it back to a lighter or darker color. I guess it’ll just take time.

March 1, 2021 at 10:10 pm
  • Banen Aday

Very nice 💗💗💗💗🥺🔥.

March 1, 2021 at 10:58 pm
  • Vahora Rizwan

Your The best artist

March 1, 2021 at 11:41 pm
  • اكره الكورونا واهل الكورونا عندك مانع؟ -_-

Love your videos❤️!!!

March 2, 2021 at 12:30 am
  • Ammat Burhan

plz try to reply me… What If I use matte varnish over oil paintings …? give me some tips on varnishing bcz I am a beginner.

March 2, 2021 at 1:06 am
  • Maísa

Have you ever tried watersoluble oil paints? I’ll try this painting this week! <3

March 2, 2021 at 1:24 am
  • Melissa Engstrom

Your sooo pretty ❤️. I really love your videos I have tried a few and I love them so so much.

March 2, 2021 at 2:05 am
  • Shahana Jasmin

So beautiful ♥️♥️♥️ Please upload some arcylic painting tutorial easy.

March 2, 2021 at 2:25 am
  • Shahana Jasmin

So beautiful ♥️♥️♥️ Please upload some arcylic painting tutorial easy.

March 2, 2021 at 2:43 am