How To Paint A Forest In Oil | Paintings By Justin

How To Paint A Forest In Oil | Paintings By Justin

• Tom Stclair

Justin buddy! I'm not a professional artist. Self taught and still learning. I know it gives you a great sence of self worth and gratification when you do these paintings. It is a great medicine to heal the wounds of the past. I'm in the same boat brother believe me!! But you have such a natural talent for this man.
    Some people paint for years and cant come close to what you accomplish with no effort. Some people are naturally gifted and never knew until someone told them. But your light, shadows , your angles, and perspective are spot on. And those are tough to create. You do it naturally and so care free. If you wanted to take it up a whole couple of levels, it would be a sinch for you because you already have the talent and understanding of some crucial basics to create magnificent paintings.. Go check out a night course at a local college for an hour or two a couple times a week from a pro. Watch what happens brother. . You'll flip out when you see what YOU are capable of doing with no effort at all. You have the qualities of becoming a master artist Justin.. I'm really serious.
    It wouldn't take anything away from your videos your making now. But your such a great teacher my friend weather you realize it or not. That's why we went through the lifestyle we did . To see it in others and be there to help them.
    But you come across to the public with such a cool down to earth peaceful, sincere caring attitude ..
    That is awesome. People really love you for that! Your real!!
    So kick it up a few notches with a night course and blow your mind ..
    By doing so, you'll have twice as much knowledge to share which will open even bigger doors and brighter pathway in your life. Even though it seems to be pretty darn bright and happy right now💪💪👍🙏✌😎..
    We all love you man!
    Wish you the best on all your journeys and with any damn colors you choose. .lol lol
    Peace.

February 23, 2020 at 9:12 am
  • Sabrina Gonzales

hey I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your work where is one night I was listening to your videos and I was depressed and to be honest with you thank you truly because honestly see after you said how it helped your mental state for some depression that you had at the time I decided to try to paint and of course I'm not nowhere near good like you but this isn't the point the point is that it for one helping me through my depressive I meant that I'm going to right now and I want to just thank you if it wasn't for you I probably will not be here to again thank you

February 23, 2020 at 9:27 am
  • Bir Müzik

I did not see what colors you used, but I watched them all

February 23, 2020 at 10:02 am
  • Angry Elf

Hey Justin. Love the self portrait. Love this painting and can’t wait to give it a try.

February 23, 2020 at 10:51 am
  • Fran Csontos

Beautiful work Justin! 😊❤️

February 23, 2020 at 11:21 am
  • paul woods

Justin, great painting!! Just one question, when you are mixing colours on your palette, are you using a knife or just the brush? Maybe a silly question but…

February 23, 2020 at 12:18 pm
  • Donna Johnson

👌

February 23, 2020 at 12:32 pm
  • MartinaTerol

You have helped me envelop so much as an artist! Really enjoy following your paitings and learning new tecnics and other tips from you. Thank you Justin. You are a true source of inspiration! Sending my warm hugs/ Martina, Sweden.

February 23, 2020 at 12:52 pm
  • Sandy Dickinson

Love this painting. Love watching you❤️❤️🎨🎨

February 23, 2020 at 1:22 pm
  • Chris Monk

So lovely! Thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial, Justin. I find the forest paintings to be so calming. I'm desperate to learn your tree foliage technique, it seems so free and natural. I have some soft synthetic brushes that might work if I can free myself enough to flow with them as you do. Thanks again, my friend. Everything you do helps us too!

February 23, 2020 at 2:07 pm
  • Bronzesnake

Another awesome one brother! I love it!

Well…") Looks like I'm gonna be spending some more "quality" time at the hospital bro, they may need to go in and do some repair work because the tumor was so large she couldn't close the gap completely for fear of things tearing apart, which seems to have happened anyway.

This is par for the course with surgery and me, of all the surgeries I've had, only one turned out to have been a complete success, without complications, so I was half expecting this anyway.

No big deal, I could use the rest! lol!
    We have three parrots Justin, one's a pineapple cheek conure, one's a green cheek conure, and one's a Quaker conure.
    My wife has made TONS of new friends since I bought her the first bird, which was a baby and hand raised. His name is Pepper, and trust me, he deserves that name!

After we got Pepper, we found out a rescue had a pineapple conure who's owner had throw it against a wall, and broke both his wings.
    Then the %&$$%&*& didn't take it to the vet to have his wings set, he let that poor bird suffer!

So "Cyrus" was in this rescue over a year, and the woman is in very poor health with heart disease, and she's just in her 30's, and has to wear a pacemaker. She's died multiple times, and is in constant fear because her son is just 10 and her boyfriend is an absolute piece of ^$#$^
    This poor woman died and fell down the basement stars, so this ….goof stands at the top of the stairs looking at her laying in a pool of blood, and DOESN'T RACE DOWN TO HELP HER!

Instead, he casually called 911 and waited up stairs watching tv for them to arrive!
    This monster was hoping she would stay dead. He also abuses the little boy, he's not the father, and relentlessly teases him, calling him fat and useless, pushing around for fun etc, so this poor boy couldn't take the abuse of himself or his mother and he snapped and ran into the kitchen and grabbed a huge knife to save his mom.

So sad, I really had to bite down hard to keep from sending that goof down the basement stairs!
    So she's having to leave, because this goof won't go.

She was losing sleep because she tried over a year to find a home for Cyrus, but nobody wanted him because his wings are busted.
    The second that woman told us that story I told my wife to get her jacket, and we drove two hours South and picked him up.

We've had Cyrus about a year and a couple of months and he is a completely different bird! We spent weeks just trying to get him to trust us, and I finally had a breakthrough and he stepped onto my hand. He is extremely beautiful, his orange, yellow and green with blue tail feathers are stunning! He is really happy now, and that poor woman was in tears when Dawn sent her video of Cyrus walking up and down my arm, and he loves playing "I'm invisible stupid human" when he walks across my shoulder and hide behind my head! LOL!

All these women who are experts at birds told us Cyrus would never, ever relax or step on our hands, and I mean several of them told us this, which made me work even harder! They were all stunned!

That's when we started getting people from all over asking if we would take their birds for any number of reasons, all legit and these people were devastated having to part with their birds, but they heard what we were doing, and how much we loved and cared for these awesome creatures and they wanted us to take their birds!

We just couldn't though, I'm disabled, Dawn had two full knee implants which BOTH came apart in her legs and she is in agony 24/7! That's another story…sigh

We did take another one when we found out the couple who had this Quaker were preparing for the husband's death with cancer and so our hearts broke and we took "Kami" Kami was another bird that never walked on people, the couple bought her having zero experience and they just never tried to work with her after they got bitten a few times, so for 7 years Kami was "back away from the cage citizen"!!!

Well, no bird bite is gonna scare me away! We've had Kami about 7 months and she walks on my hands, my shoulders my head anywhere she pleases! Again, these experts could not believe it. But they did realise it wasn't fluke! One bird maybe, not two! So God has blessed me with animals all my life, every dog, cat, bird, ferret rat mouse and now bird I come around, immediately gravitate toward me, and they're completely relaxed.

Even the most aggressive dogs, one comes to mind that was a huge German Shepard and it was badly abused by the drunk owner, and it became mean. That family had to push his food dish into his pen and drag it back out with the broom because he tried to rip their heads off!

One afternoon I was at that house helping dig a garden, and I kept looking at that poor boy, he was chained to a large heavy doghouse 24/7 and it was cruel and sad. So I dropped the shovel and headed straight for him, as the family were shrieking in terror 'NO, DON'T HE'S VICIOUS, HE BITES…STOP"!!

I walked right at him, and told him "sit" sternly and he did just that. I scratched his head and he rolled on his back so I could scratch his belly!
    I spent time with that dog almost every day for five years and one morning I went over and he was dead. Broke my heart just knowing the abuse he took, with drugs cracking 2X4's over his back, and keeping him chained outside all year long, just really sick people.

SO, we got a desperate call from the woman with the heart issues. Her parents finally agreed to help her out and she's moving in with them!
    But she can only take one bird. She had 12 or 13 ! But managed to find homes for all but two. So we brought "Charlie" home yesterday.
    Charlie is a Hans McCaw and just a beautiful, beautiful bird!

Our birds all talk, except Cyrus, well, that's not true, Cyrus says "what"? all day long, and when you give him his favorite nutra berry at bedtime he says "thanks you"! LOL! Pepper will talk his face off day and night! I taught him a really annoying sentence, never dreaming he would abuse it!
    All day it's 'PEPPER PEPPER PEPPER"!! I laugh my as…head off each and every time, it never gets old!

I started saying it back over and over and over and he started doing that also, only he has to go longer than me, or he's not happy so sometimes he'll be "PEPPER, PEPPER, PEPPER, PEPPER, PEPPER, PEPPER, PEPPER, PEPPER, etc ect, and he always cracks me up, because it's redonculous the length he can go without breathing! LOL!

Kami's first night here she said NOTHING! She was freaked out, not knowing what was going on, who were these strange people, and the man (me) damn he is stunningly handsome! …what?…what?!…OK I made that last bit up…sigh
    Sometime after a couple of hours, I had her cage in my room for a month so we knew she wasn't sick, then let her out where the other birds are, but I was writing some music and suddenly Kami drops a freaking F BOMB!! LOL! It was perfect, clear, loud concise…I think she meant it! LOL!!

Anyway, we now have 4 parrots THAT'S THE LIMIT! And the Hans McCaw, Charlie" IS ALL MINE!! I've wanted a McCaw forever! The woman may not be able to keep her Cockatoo, depending on how much noise he makes, and if people complain. So we begrudgingly agreed to take him also, if she can't keep him…sigh

I have wanted a Cockatoo ever since I started watching "Baretta" when I was a punk kid but we have a full house! Two Old English Bulldoggees a Munchkin Siamese cat that cannot shut his fish hole – a 55 gal aquarium filled with fish, and now 4 parrots!

Call me Captain Jack folks!
    AWESOME PAINTING MY BROTHER!!

Jack ~'()'~

February 23, 2020 at 2:20 pm
  • Marene AuFrance

Wondering if you ever do watercoloring….the way you do your sketches by scrubbing them in, I don't know. Just a thought.

February 23, 2020 at 2:51 pm
  • Richard Almeida

Fire it in!

February 23, 2020 at 3:35 pm
  • Bob Urquhart

Is there anyway you can show your palette as you're painting. It helps me lots when I can seeing the blending and mixing of paints and the brush loading instead of just seeing you put them on the canvas. I know this may add additional expense by necessitating another camera and a video mixer. Just my 2-cents worth.

February 23, 2020 at 4:27 pm
  • Alek Draganic

Brilliant, like always.
    So inspirational.
    So good teacher.
    Thanks

February 23, 2020 at 4:44 pm
  • Maria Xose

Buen trabajo….

February 23, 2020 at 5:40 pm
  • Cathy Hunnnicutt

Beautiful!!!!!! AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love these longer video's you can learn so much more because it gives you time to reflect on the mood of he painting. God Bless. Have a Beautiful Blessed DAY!!!!!!

February 23, 2020 at 6:08 pm
  • susatom1000

Wow it is pretty and looks so easy..but it is not that…for me..wish it was…hope one day it also will be easy to painting ..But it looks like it is easier to blend that with oil I think .

February 23, 2020 at 7:06 pm
  • Nhu Nguyen

Thanks Justin, I love all your videos, thanks for sharing.

February 23, 2020 at 7:38 pm
  • WAR R0B0TS BOT KILLER

Another great video Justin and you are correct we don't care about the camera angle only the painting and of course you too, keep em coming bud and have a great weekend

February 23, 2020 at 7:42 pm
  • David Buckbinder

Excellent Steve! Looking forward to meeting you on March 1.

February 23, 2020 at 8:09 pm
  • janhomes50

This is incredible ~ watching here in Scottsdale, AZ 2020, wondering how to pull off a Grand Canyon project for my client :-O

February 23, 2020 at 8:47 pm
  • janhomes50

What thinning medium are you using for this first coat of painting ? Thanks

February 23, 2020 at 9:00 pm
  • janhomes50

I'm starting the Grand Canyon for a client. Haven't done this before. I watch this, and your drawing is so wonderful, and then it looks like you just smudge right over it, and does look like the drawing is lost. At least, I can't see it anymore. Also, what do you use to draw your image on the canvas ? I know you want it to never show through….. esp in white cloud areas. Thanks for this, you are wonderful.

February 23, 2020 at 9:45 pm
  • OMtNI

I'm very late but thank you.

February 23, 2020 at 10:04 pm
  • Dan V

Another great lesson. I keep checking every day for your next video. I’ve improved my broken color techniques by watching you work. Love the stories as well. Can’t thank you enough.

February 23, 2020 at 10:59 pm
  • Ryan Runquist

That was great! Wonderfully done, I especially like your technique, simple and very effective.

February 23, 2020 at 11:20 pm
  • Lindy du Toit

Stunning! If I could paint like you I would be soooo happy. Thanks for the video.

February 24, 2020 at 12:14 am
  • Canine Monkey

Thank you for teaching me!

February 24, 2020 at 12:46 am
  • MeanderMedia

Very, very beautiful painting of a captivating canyon. Bravo on the quick-finish!

February 24, 2020 at 12:56 am
  • Awwabaayeda Ayeda

That is more than wonderful indeed..But very talkative

February 24, 2020 at 1:04 am
  • Gopinathan Nottath

I don't know your name. Just signing after a painting will not make you famous. You want to be hidden.. ok

February 24, 2020 at 1:54 am
  • Friend Deming

I cannot tell how grateful I am and encouraged by watching this video and a few others. Your work is inspiring and commentary is well thought out. Please keep posting and painting, I hope to meet you someday. Clear skies and God Bless.

February 24, 2020 at 2:15 am
  • Sherrie Richard

Your demo of painting the rocks, along with your commentary on the cool & warm temperatures, was invaluable to us beginning and intermediate artists. Thank you for sharing! Congrats on the sale. I know they will always enjoy different parts each time they view this painting!

February 24, 2020 at 2:39 am
  • Andrew Mather

Great painting and mind b lowing information regards to shades shadosa and lights . Thank you, thank you.

February 24, 2020 at 2:46 am
  • John Palmer

Hello Steve, thank you for another learning experience.

February 24, 2020 at 2:55 am
  • Elizabeth Barnes

Beautiful!

February 24, 2020 at 3:33 am
  • Ron Schlorff

Very nice painting! Love that you occasionally use the brushes that your parents gave you, AKA your fingers! I do that too, and I think of them, and thank them for the encouragement they always gave me to pursue art!

February 24, 2020 at 4:13 am
  • Corri Schmidt

This video was just what I needed today! I have painted in acrylics for about 5 years, but I live in Montrose, CO where the air is very dry. I finally became so tired of fighting the drying time issue that I made the leap to oils recently. I have a lot of head knowledge, but just can’t seem to translate it into brush knowledge! Grrr… Your incredibly well done videos that not only explain your process, but remind me to keep painting, not get discouraged, and have faith that it will come, bring me back to center – thank you! I hope to meet you someday to thank you in person! I understand that making content like this takes a lot of time and effort and I truly appreciate your giving and kind spirit!

February 24, 2020 at 4:58 am
  • H Bendzulla

Great video with a fantastic ending. A picture so beautiful it should be in a gallery for everyone to see if.
    Those lucky buyers. 👌